(keitai-l) Flash on phones?

From: Josh White <josh_at_blackbrick.com>
Date: 12/20/00
> As much as I like and use java, most applications & games would be better
> written and displayed with an embedded swf player (flash 5).

I've often thought about this as well, and am glad to see a posting about it.
My thoughts and some quick web research follow:

Flash basics: It's unusual to compare Flash to Javascript. Flash's core is
vector-based graphics file format and streaming standard. Vector-based means
filled lines, arcs, as opposed to raster (JPG, BMP, MPEG - arrays of pixels).
It's Illustrator-like, not Photoshop-like. Vector-based images are less
versatile and require more artist production effort and client CPU than
raster, but they scale perfectly, are cheap, low-bandwidth and easy to
animate, and usually use a lot fewer bytes per image.

Should Flash be on phones?  Not necessarily.  Flash solves the problems of
desktop users beautifully.  If you want full-screen, smooth animation on your
users' high screen resolutions and beefy CPUs but your net connection is slow,
use Flash.  Filling 500,000 pixels with a 56kbps straw - that's what it does
best.   Obviously, desktop hardware is almost exactly opposite of mobile
hardware (small screen, weak client CPU).

So why use Flash on a tiny mobile device?  Here's my thoughts:
 [] Content. The Flash development community is large yet focused on cool
content, not algorithms and not text menus. This means there people to hire
who are experienced in making animated interactive sites that impress
entertainment/youth markets.
 [] All-in-one. Flash can handle interaction, links, etc etc in one package -
normally, developers would combine HTML, MPEG, and Java to achieve these.
(granted, all these features won't be in phones right away, but there's a
clear upgrade plan)
 [] Flash is the best option for streaming animation over today's non-3G
bandwidth. It is rumored to handle bandwidth variability (ie, overloaded
networks) well.
 [] Flash's vector-based graphics shine when target plaforms vary - screen
pixel size changes are trivial, unlike MPEG.

Jon nicely outlined some solid pro/cons for Flash vs Java on phones:

> Flash 5 now:
>
>    * uses a javascript-like language
>      Ok not as nice as java, but flexible enough
>
>    * concise visual layout / description
>      read small footprint & fast downloads.  Nothing java can do here

Definitely true for 800x600, but I'd be interested to see filesize comparisons
for small screen size devices. I agree about the fast downloads though, due to
built-in streaming abilities.

>    * many designers who can build in this medium

Definitely! this is very important - they're "designers" not "programmers" - a
key difference if you're trying to produce lots of content.

> The downside is:
>
>    * slightly less flexibility & uglier code (potentially)

Also, dependence on a single vendor.  This is a two-edged sword. One one hand,
it's nice to have a single clear chain of command for foundation-level
decisions about Flash.  However, it's not clear what would happen if
Macromedia were to make a bad decision, and it's quite possible since
Macromedia is currently landline-web-oriented.  Flash's source code is
available, so theoretically someone could 'take it over' (see below).

> As you know a number of manufacturers (such as nokia) are starting to
> produce phones with embedded swf players.  This is where the future lies
> IMO.

I searched for info on this, but couldn't find anything besides #6 below.
Anyone want to post URLS to this?

Thanks,
-Josh

-----------
Related news search results:

1. "The source code for Macromedia Flash is freely available to device and
platform developers, and the company published its Flash file format as an
open Web standard."
2. "The file-format SDK is available for free download at Macromedia's Web
site; the Flash Player source code SDK is limited to developers approved by
the company."  Macromedia CEO "pointed to the "next frontier" of Flash ...
aimed at Internet set-top boxes, handheld computers and mobile phones"
3. Funmail CEO Adam Lavine thinks Flash "is great for animation, and having
Flash in more PDAs, cell phones and IM devices will make a killer user
experience."
4. Macromedia is hiring a team to "embed Macromedia Flash into the latest
generation of wireless mobile phones and PDAs, Internet appliances, and
digital set-top boxes."
5. Flash's scripting language, ActionScript, "matches the syntax and structure
of JavaScript" and Flash supports XML and HTML as well as their fancy vector
graphics.
6. Flash is being ported to the Symbian platform, announced Feb 2000.

1. http://www.ecommercetimes.com/news/articles2000/000210-3.shtml
2. http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/12/ns-14441.html
3. http://www.fiercewireless.com/archives/weeklyreport/issue24.htm
4. http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/ Job#:735HS