(keitai-l) Re: Flash on phones?

From: Jonathan Shore <jshore_at_e-shuppan.com>
Date: 12/21/00
Josh - great analysis - a few comments

> Flash basics: It's unusual to compare Flash to Javascript. Flash's core is
> vector-based graphics file format and streaming standard.
> Vector-based means
> filled lines, arcs, as opposed to raster (JPG, BMP, MPEG - arrays
> of pixels).

First, if you got the impression that I was comparing flash to javascript,
that was not intended.  Flash 5 ActionScript is modeled after javascript.
It gives a lot more flexibility (and familiarity) to those who want to
program in flash.

As for flash being a vector based graphic format - that is true.  It does of
course support images and some limited image-related transforms.  Where it
doesn't do as well is handling movie formats.  Thinking about the bandwidth
(and cost constraints) available even on 3G phones, I'm not as worried about
the movie issue.

> use Flash.  Filling 500,000 pixels with a 56kbps straw - that's
> what it does
> best.   Obviously, desktop hardware is almost exactly opposite of mobile
> hardware (small screen, weak client CPU).

Though its true that you have much less cpu power on your standard keitai
than on your PC, surely java is going to be subject to the same constraints.
I think flash (or SVG) for that matter would fair better performance-wise
than java.  Not to mention the performance and footprint problems
encountered with java's memory intensive model.

> [good analysis elided]
> ..
> Also, dependence on a single vendor.  This is a two-edged sword.
> One one hand,
> it's nice to have a single clear chain of command for foundation-level
> decisions about Flash.  However, it's not clear what would happen if
> Macromedia were to make a bad decision, and it's quite possible since
> Macromedia is currently landline-web-oriented.  Flash's source code is
> available, so theoretically someone could 'take it over' (see below).

To tell you the truth if I thought the SVG standard (and implementations)
where ready I would be pushing this.  SVG is so much more flexible, is a
standard, and is much more developed on the "raster" (image) side.  I'd love
to see SVG replace SWF.

> > As you know a number of manufacturers (such as nokia) are starting to
> > produce phones with embedded swf players.  This is where the future lies
> > IMO.

I read it somewhere - will provide a link later.

> 1. "The source code for Macromedia Flash is freely available to device and
> platform developers, and the company published its Flash file format as an
> open Web standard."

Technically this is true - on the other hand it seems to be quite difficult
to become one of their approved developers (read you probably need to be at
one of the big corporates).  Requests for the source are subject to an
arbitrary approval process.