(keitai-l) Re: Flash on phones?

From: Josh White <josh_at_blackbrick.com>
Date: 12/22/00
Jon and my thread continues...

My summary:
	I suspect embedded Flash could be the right environment for new mobile app
developers.  Flash allows enough interactive ability to be interesting; it
offer simple-to-build yet stunning and very creative graphics; it's
web-centric; it's OS independent; it's proven.
	That "feels right" factor seems important to me; that's what motivates the
smart people to do amazing things.  Thus I bet that whoever does a good job
embedding Flash in a i-mode-type cell phone ends up with an unexpected
explosion of great applications.

details:

> I think flash (or SVG) for that matter would fair better performance-wise
> than java.  Not to mention the performance and footprint problems
> encountered with java's memory intensive model.

I'm not sure, myself - I could see it either way.  I'd love to hear more: why
might a Flash player use less CPU and memory than embedded Java?

> Requests for [flash] source are subject to an arbitrary approval process.

Yeah - not true open source by any means...but a lot better than what other
segment-leader companies (Autodesk, Microsoft) offer.  Still, you're right - I
consider Flash a basicly proprietary technology for now.

> As for flash being a vector based graphic format - that is true.  It does of
> course support images and some limited image-related transforms.

yes, that's an important point. Flash does a nice job of letting the artist
use raster art (images) where it's efficient.  And yes, I agree that animated
raster (MPEG) is not what Flash is meant for.

-Josh