(keitai-l) Re: Flash on phones?

From: Jonathan Shore <jshore_at_e-shuppan.com>
Date: 12/22/00
Josh - I agree with your analysis.  About the speed issue, to answer your
point:

> > I think flash (or SVG) for that matter would fair better
> performance-wise
> > than java.  Not to mention the performance and footprint problems
> > encountered with java's memory intensive model.
>
> I'm not sure, myself - I could see it either way.  I'd love to
> hear more: why
> might a Flash player use less CPU and memory than embedded Java?

I'm sure there are cases which demonstrate better performance in either
medium.  From experience (and also from what I know of the models):

Issues limiting Java's speed:

  - relatively deep non-native code class hierarchy for graphics
  - significant memory footprint for each object
  - GC (I guess different VMs can adjust their policy to minimize memory and
GC impact)
  - lack of native rendering support for anti-aliasing, alpha, etc (last I
checked)

Where Java will do better:

  - non-graphic part of app (algorithms, etc)

Flash

   - rendering done in native code (should be quite a bit faster)
   - any scripting will generally be slower than java code execution

---
Jonathan Shore
CTO
E-Publishing Group K.K.