(keitai-l) Re: Flash on phones?

From: Jonathan Shore <jshore_at_e-shuppan.com>
Date: 12/22/00
> working on a module to 'plot' graphics from my company's main application
> to SVG files, in anticipation of this becoming a widely supported format.
> I watched an understandable format turn into a huge, bloated one that
> is so complicated that there are bound to be significant incompatibilities
> between implementations. SVG includes, by reference, CSS2, DOM2(?),
> XLink, XPointer, and several other complex specifications that just add
> to this.

It's true SVG has become a bloated monster (as is typical with standards
developed by commitees).  On the other hand it is much easier to program /
interact with a web page.   It also does a lot more than the current SWF
standard.  I'm looking for a decent implementation on linux BTW if anyone
knows of one.

That said, you're probably right on the next count.  To implement SVG
requires  a lot of "web infrastructure".  SVG is also not as compact as SWF
(compressed is still typically 2-3 times larger).