(keitai-l) Re: Frustration makes way for...

From: Eijkemans, Paul <Paul.Eijkemans_at_ben.nl>
Date: 01/31/01
> simply saying that a non-GSM technology was a better fit for Japan
> for many reasons. GSM is great for places that need a standard network to
cover different
> geographies, countries, handsets, and carriers.
> Japan as a domestic market (with NTT as the major player) had the luxury
of
> not having to worry about any of the same problems above that drove the
GSM
> standard into existence.

Bull. Don't forget that NTT is suffering from the "Non-Invented Here
Syndrome". For mobile that
already started in 1979 with the introduction of the first proprietary
analogue system.
Even if you forget the different geographies, countries, handsets,
etc-arguments,
NTT could have profited from economies of scale in GSM, both handsets and
core network
equipment. They did not. Instead they invested in huge development laps
inventing a
'standard' that is not only qualitatively lesser than GSM but is almost
nowhere implemented.
It is these development labs that on a costs level DoCoMo is not doing that
well,
through their almost monopoly they are able to make it up though.
Apparently they start learning from this failure as they are cooperating
with the
traditional core network vendors to get the W-CDMA thing right.

Best regards,
Paul

Please note that in no way the above reflects the opinion of my employer.