(keitai-l) Re: Frustration makes way for...

From: Eijkemans, Paul <Paul.Eijkemans_at_ben.nl>
Date: 01/31/01
> all. The decision to go with cHTML over WAP/WML was for that reason, not
the
> desire to do something proprietary. The benefits of a proprietary system
pale in
> comparison to the benefits of using open internet standards like HTML and
HTTP.
> DoCoMo knew this and explicitly acted on such knowledge.

WAP is also using HTPP. Only in the communication between handset and
gateway
another protocol is used, just as the DoCoMo gateway does at that point.
This is
done to reduce the number of handshakes between handset and gateway. Ergo,
there
is hardly any difference on that point.

XML, on which WML is based, is an open standard too. It is a good choice for
the
future as it is far more extendable and far more structured. cHTML is more
easier
to take up for the "do-it-at-home" site builder, but for a programmer it is
just
as easy to do WML as it is to to cHTML.

I agree with you that DoCoMo tries to adopt open standards. However, in
detail
it is proprietary. Only take a look at those features that are available
within
I-Mode and not within one or more other portals.

Best regards,
Paul