(keitai-l) i-mode usage likely overstated

From: Jonathan Shore <jshore_at_e-shuppan.com>
Date: 02/02/01
Not sure if you've seen this - Tim Clark's internet report of Jan 30th has a
section entitled:  "Internet-enabled mobile phone user numbers overstated".
Not sure if I can repost it here (can be found on tkai.com) so I'll provide
a summary.

Basic summary:

    - yomiuri shimbun survey 40% of users don't use their phones to access
internet
    - 26% of i-mode subscribers don't use phones for online content or email
    - i-mode penetration much higher because of "default" bundling with
phone handsets

Would be interesting to know how many of the 17M use i-mode content sites
regularly.  Certainly voice and email are the biggest apps, but how big is
i-mode content relative to the subscriber numbers.

---
Jonathan Shore
E-Publishing Group K.K.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef