(keitai-l) Re: Graphical i-mode latency app

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 02/03/01
At 09:07 2001-02-03, you wrote:
>I have just finished adding a dynamically generated graph to our i-mode ping
>tool which shows the latency spread and where you appear on it with other
>i-mode users.
>
>As we collect more data, I hope to be able to show i-mode speeds over a 24
>hour and weekly period. So far it looks like DoCoMo is doing a good job with
>numbers falling between around 150 and 200ms but I have had much worse
>unrecorded results in the past. Good ammunition to pre-empt any client
>access complaints ;)

My view is that these are very good numbers. If I remember correctly, the
systematic expected error should be in the order of 200 ms. This is
actually a lot better than what the 3G network can show today, which
according to unofficial figures I got is about the double. That should be a
lot better with the next release of W-CDMA (Release 4), but most countries
will actually start with release 99 (or 3...).

And then we have the GPRS networks of Europe, which currently has
roundtrips of about 800 ms in the best networks, but up to 1 500 ms in some
of the worst!

/gustaf

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747