(keitai-l) Re: Graphical i-mode latency app

From: Thomas O'Dowd <tom_at_nooper.com>
Date: 02/03/01
Hi Kyle,

I just gave the ping script a run. I got 203ms. This is a ping
back to the DoCoMo gateway (ie your server to their gateway) and
not to the actual accessing imode handset which is a little harder
to do. Maybe somekind of midlet with a http type ping would give you
more realistic figures? But at least in my understanding, the actual
chart is not really representative in judging the imode network
speeds, rather just latency to your network from theirs.

Cute little graph though :)

Cheers,

Tom.

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 05:07:53PM +0900, Kyle Barrow wrote:
> I have just finished adding a dynamically generated graph to our i-mode ping
> tool which shows the latency spread and where you appear on it with other
> i-mode users.
>
> As we collect more data, I hope to be able to show i-mode speeds over a 24
> hour and weekly period. So far it looks like DoCoMo is doing a good job with
> numbers falling between around 150 and 200ms but I have had much worse
> unrecorded results in the past. Good ammunition to pre-empt any client
> access complaints ;)
>
> Most of the data is coming from X-9 phones in Osaka so I would appreciate if
> any Keitai-L members with i-mode phones could give it a whirl to get an idea
> of what is going elsewhere. The app can be accessed through the Net Tools
> section of http://www.X-9.com or directly at http://www.X-9.com/ping.asp.
>
> Comments, criticism or suggestions can be emailed direct to me at
> kyle@X-9.com
>
> Thanks
>
> Kyle
>
> X-9 DESIGN LAB
> http://www.X-9.com

Thomas O'Dowd                   Noop-de-Noop!
tom_at_nooper.com                  http://www.nooper.com