(keitai-l) Re: Greener Grass, popping pills and nooper

From: Vittorio Nicolardi <vnicolardi_at_izogud.com>
Date: 02/12/01
James Governor wrote:
> So what happens if these European and US companies realise they have
bought
> into a hype (through no fault of DoCoMo's, but because of their own
> greediness). When they discover it will quite difficult to get DoCoMo
rolled
> out in their own geographies. That the DoCoMo brand, though hugely
valuable,
> will not be enough to guarantee success?

Going for I-mode now for some europen operators will be only a marketing
trick.
They are all in WAP they spended a lot of money on GPRS and UMTS licenses
and they need the successful example of docomo only to justify further
costs. Still
in my opinion there are huge potentiality in wireless internet (WAP, I-mode,
whatever...)
What is not hype in the I-mode is the fact that people use it. Give them a
smart way to
access content (possibly cheap and with colored gifs) and they will come.
Before I-mode
in europe we had SMS. Here in Czech Republic (not the wireless nordic
countries
or the rich "west") you can get any kind of information
(http://www.paegas.cz/rdmnet/english/services/Sluzby_InfoPaegaInfo.htm),
manage your bank account, or even buy a coke with an SMS. 15 million text
messages
were transmitted on 24th December only from the gateway of one of the three
operators.

So why not WAP or GPRS. Simple, while Wap access is available since may 1999
and GPRS network is up
an running since last year there are no cheap mobiles on the market. So no
request for the services...

Here and I believe in many other european countries cheap wireless internet
would be a huge success
indidendently from I-mode, wap, java, Gprs edge or UMTS...

Vittorio Nicolardi