(keitai-l) Greener Grass, popping pills and nooper

From: James Governor <jgovernor_at_illuminata.com>
Date: 02/12/01
How exactly the nooper showcase would help me unmiss the point, I am unsure,
but thanks all the same juergen. perhaps if i read your FAQ? As usual, I
enjoyed your photographic adventures in keitai and lolicon culture.

And Renfield, where exactly did i say the future was the PC? the future of
access to services provided via the Internet is undoubtedly multi-modal, as
Jonathan Shore points out.

IMHO, looking to the future (and forgive me getting geo/economic/political
here)
some South-East Asian rice farmers will check market prices on their cell
phones, some will use interactive satellite TV services, and so on. The same
goes for Wall Street traders. Where will they do their banking? By phone or
kiosk or PC, in a local branch perhaps - whatever they consider most
available, convenient, secure or whatever. Sorry, that may be too business
focused - where will they look at their cartoons or sports scores or weather
reports or music news? The same kind of factors apply equally to Western,
Eastern, Northern, Southern cultures, crossing race and technological
divides. I for one, plan to continue reading a tabloid newspaper in the
morning; I like it, the feel of it, the smell of it, even the ink on my
fingers. I read online news services too, but just because I can access the
news through the Internet, doesn't mean I will. Do I use AvantGo with my
Palm?-yeah sometimes, but it's not the only way I read the news. We have a
saying in England that might be relevant: "You pays your money and you takes
your choice."

the Japanese are indeed currently showing us the way forward with keitai
culture, which is an excellent thing. But it by listening to the chatter in
local markets that these economies can be penetrated.

Let me ask a couple of questions. Can DoCoMo currently guarantee Quality of
Service to its customers? What service level agreements are available? What
are the penalties when the service crashes for five hours? These may seem
boring, but the answers will help underpin long term global success. Might i
t be that DoCoMo could actually learn something in this regard from other
wireless service providers?

There is surely no single answer to the question of Internet access
mechanism; everything depends on context. My original posting was primarily
focused on perceptions, the kind of things that drive the global electronic
herd, the herd that takes share prices up and down, that dictates investment
by global corporations. See the excellent posting by Vittoria Nicolardi is
this regard.
"The hype about I-mode is quite high here in europe. This is probably what
pushed Telecom Italia Mobile in the I-mode boat. Knowing the guys in TIM
(The general director is saying that they would be able to duplicate the
success of I-mode
already this year), I am sure they don't really understand limits and
potentiality (as they don't really know what UMTS is going to be."

So what happens if these European and US companies realise they have bought
into a hype (through no fault of DoCoMo's, but because of their own
greediness). When they discover it will quite difficult to get DoCoMo rolled
out in their own geographies. That the DoCoMo brand, though hugely valuable,
will not be enough to guarantee success?

I was just wondering. Meanwhile, I'll keep on popping the aspirins, or are
they vitamins?