(keitai-l) Re: i-mode in the UK

From: Nik Frengle <eseller_at_eimode.com>
Date: 06/13/01
Actually, Beau, this will not extend the brand name. In a speech given last
Wednesday, Tatsuhiro Shukunami, Executive Direcror of Global Coordination
for NTT DoCoMo explicitly stated in a question (from me) that they will not
call the service in the US i-mode.  Further, depending on what part of WAP
it is that you are talking about--network protocols, or markup langauge--the
product offered through AT&T will not be WAP, since it will, according to
Shukunami, be served using a new browser, capable of reading both WML (WAP)
and cHTML pages.  Phone-sets will be produced by two makers, one Japanese,
and one US (guess who?).  And as of this writing, and any other timeline I
have heard from either AT&T or DoCoMo, the service is meant to be launched
next year, sometime in the spring.
-Nik Frengle