(keitai-l) Re: Can J-Phone rock DoCoMo's boat?

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 06/19/01
Zev Blut wrote:
> Also, I believe that one of the phones in the US(I think Nortel??? I
> might be wrong on this) supports the use of Datagrams, but the
> others do not.

Nortel?!  Maybe Nextel, with the Motorola i85s?

> Also, they have an interesting idea of adding security levels to the
> applications to allow for more access to the phone's features.

You can do a similar thing with applets.

> To me, I think Java on phones is more about having the ability to
> develop applications for the phones without being in cohorts with
> the manufactures.  That is what is great about it, not the "write
> once run anywhere" concept (it is ideal, but too far away).  Then
> that brings up the question about why not develop for Brew then?
> Well the problem with Brew is that you have to get approval from
> Qualcomm before you can release your software.
<snip>

The real problem is that Brew involves writing low-level code that
runs on the phone without anything to protect the rest of the phone
software from it.  This is the reason why you have to get approval
from Qualcomm.  Once the phone manufacturers manage to implement a
proper Java sand-box, Java phones will be nice and stable.  I don't
think this will happen with Brew, because there is no sand-box to
limit the damage that an application can do, and I don't believe
that Qualcomm is really going to do the kind of testing and source
inspection that they would need to, to check that applications will
not crash.  (That would slow down approval even further, of course.)