(keitai-l) Re: GPRS content question

From: JAPON.NET <web_at_japon.net>
Date: 07/03/01
on 01.7.3 4:34 AM, John Floss at john_floss@yahoo.com wrote:
(...)
> On Jphone and i-mode
(..) users
> can reach my site by typing in the url.
Yes

> Now, here is my problem: What About GPRS? Does anyone
> know if a GPRS handset user in another country can
> easily access NON-accepted sites from their own
> telecom provider? I am planning on launching some
> sites in China and Taiwan when GPRS is in full effect
> and some people have told me that if I am NOT a member
> of China's or Taiwan's ELITE crew of accepted sites,
> users WILL NOT be able to see my site. This sounds
> incorrect asd I assume users can just type in any URL
> and go visit those sites (as long as they are using
> code viewable by the respective handset browser).
>
> Can anybody shed light on this GPRS handset issue?

Best think would be to know what is the *current* situation with WAP
contents in your target countries. Just by checking some content producers
sites in Taiwan I got the impression it is possible to access them outside
any menu.

Remember that around late 1999 WAP was a closed  affair in certain handsets
from BT and FranceTelecom and it took court orders to make the carriers open
the field. So I guess there is some precedent to you worry.

GPRS, WAP, CHTML or MML is not the issue, the key is the biz model of the
carriers. What is the *current* situation in China and Taiwan?

Vincent J. Luna, Director
--
JAPON.NET llc.: Making Your Company Visible in Japan
web_at_japon.net   http://www.japon.net/web/

iMode Eye: Independent Source on Japan's mBiz
http://www.japon.net/imode/  日本のモバイルシーンを海外に!