(keitai-l) Re: GPRS content question -- please help!

From: Nik Frengle <eseller_at_eimode.com>
Date: 07/03/01
I am guessing you will get a lot of other replies to this question, but I
would just like to point out that GPRS is a network protocol, whereas i-mode
is the name of a particular service.
Presumably the GPRS implementations you mention will use WAP. There is a WAP
server that converts html to WML using a binary conversion, so even on WAP
it is possible to view html. Whether the system is open to users viewing
outside content or not would seem to depend on both the microbrowser,
presumably Openwave, and how the carriers have the WAP server configured.
Some European carriers had implementations that limited users to their
services. Most US carriers do not. J-phone used to but doesn't any more.
What DoCoMo has shown is that to do so is like shooting yourself in the
foot. Good luck.
-Nik