(keitai-l) Re: iappli download for emulator without docomo email address

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 07/14/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>I wonder how neccesary this is...apparently
>most providers don't feel it neccesary.

It isn't so much "keeping people out" as controlling how content is
presented. If you do sniff'n'serve, (identical URLs serving up different
content based on the client requesting that content) being able to
identify the client and determine its capabilities  becomes absolutely
crucial. Lots of people sniff and serve stylesheets and the like - with
imode phones (or jphone, whatever) the difference in client capabilities
are enormous and the difference in the content one generates is huge.

Since header faking is so easy, having some kind of additional validation
that the client can definitely display the content you are serving is
useful. You can only guarantee that if you can definitely identify the
client. Being able to guarantee that it is coming from docomo's network
and has that header is "good enough" ....

If someone is hitting my site, I would sometimes rather control how the
site is presented... Since it is so easy to ensure that - with auto update
when docomo change things - why not?

Additionally, it IS kinda convenient if one wants to target ads ....

Nick