(keitai-l) Re: i-motion Mpeg3

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 07/19/01
> I bought a bunch of Eggy's for about 200.000- each,
There you made the first mistake... It's only 20,000Yen ;)
Thanks for supporting DoCoMo!

> The Eggy is a DoCoMo trial to see if anybody bites. To see
> if anyone would actually buy this service and start
> churning serious revenues; to surprise DoCoMo. But sales
> are flat and the whole Eggy thing is going to disappear.
This is true, but nobody in DoCoMo expected a success of
Eggy. Actually they developed a whole video and music
distribution system (including the server, content
management and payment system) for the Future of Multimedia
Access (FOMA).

To show this technology before FOMA to possible
video and music content providers, they invented a portable
device totally independent of FOMA technology, just on top
of the fast enough PHS network. Do you ever wondered why
Eggy has no integrated antenna, but the flashcard size
standard PHS card? It was just a decision to save money.

The public field test was not a success, this is true.
Actually they expected 20,000 Users by March 2001, which
they never reached. The simple reason is like you said,
it is another clunky device to carry around, another
contract to make, a lot of money involved (1min = 15Yen).

But it was cheap way to test their application for the
future. Most european carriers are not as far, they still
research what to do with high bandwidth.

> Only hacks like you and I are interested in this exotic toy.
I am not really interested in this toy. I bought my first
VCR about 6 months ago. I prefer to stare in my PC.

> It will never be seen actually used by more than one
> person per day on the entire Tokyo Trainsystem. (How many
> Phones do you see every day?)
See above, it was not more than a public test for the
technology, they just prepared everything for the FOMA
launch.

> Eggy has a Windows Player built-in, racking a whopping
> 500KB of processing space. What Phone can play your MPEG4
> files now?
Just download this video (28MB):
http://nooper.co.jp/labs/sample/fomasamplemovie.mpg
and see what phone plays a streamed MPEG4 video
direct from the M-Stage Visual service. This phone
exists, the service works. If you talk about the technology,
it works. If you talk about user acceptance, we will see.

> Like I said before, MPEG4 won't be on PHONES anytime soon.
If you don't count fieldtests, October 2001.

> Thanks Juergen. Maybe some day you see my point. I like
> you, don't get me wrong.
Hey, this list is not about liking or not, or are you
in the dating business? Until today you never introduced
yourself properly and you use a free webmail service.
How should anybody in this list trust your information?
Maybe you are just me with a different alias to plug
Nooper links in this list?

> I don't want to challenge you. Your plugs are too funny.
> To find out, go to Nooper: http://nooper.co.jp/showcase/gallery.php?
You must be me...I ever suspected that I am schizophrenic ;)

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht [Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc.] http://nooper.com
For a better i-mode experience. NooperLabs: http://nooper.co.jp/labs/