(keitai-l) Re: old keitai

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_morganstanley.com>
Date: 07/31/01
Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> >Benjamin,
> >
> >> What would have been different, though if Japan had
> >> adopted a standard,
> >
> >don't you think that these "What would have been different,
> >if..." comments are pretty much useless these days?
>
> Depends on the context.
>
> It was implicated that miniturisation and colour screens were an outcome of
> the Japanese going their own way, to which I responded, that those would
> have occured nevertheless and are therefore not a benefit of a non-standard
> approach.

Not sure I can agree. One could argue that given a plethora of cost-effective
external suppliers Japanese manufacturers would have been overwhelmed by
competition as DoCoMo wouldn't really care if phones came from NEC or Nokia,
and therefore would probably have bought existing GSM Nokia phones and not
encouraged NEC in the costly pursuit of handset development. Therefore perhaps
Japanese manufacturers would NOT have gotten so good at LCDs, etc...

Then again, as stated above we can guess all we want about what-ifs, and no one
is right and no one is wrong.
Was using PDC net-net a good call? The Japanese gov't has pretty much
officially admitted 'no'. What's more interesting is: will DoCoMo succeed in
pushing wCDMA forward as the dominant 3G standard?

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

e-business technologies | engineering and strategy

"Connecting people, ideas and capital,
we will be the world's first choice
for achieving financial aspirations"