(keitai-l) Re: The usage of mobilephones among kids in Japan

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 08/02/01
Rene Kofoed wrote:
> In the Yomiuri article a survey done by the Lige Design Institute was
> mentioned, I wonder if similar surveys has been conducted in Europe
> or the US on the usage of mobile phones among kids.

They have.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4212672,00.html>
reports on one of them, but appears to have made some errors - having
looked at the project web site, I think the headline 90% figure is the
percentage that *use* (not own) a mobile phone, and that the sample
group was mostly 14-16 year olds (not a representative sample of
children).  Unfortunately I never got an answer from the researcher
quoted in the article.

I found another one that looked at usage in several countries, the
reasons that parents and children give for getting and using the
phones, how parents try to control usage, and so on.  Unfortunately I
have been unable to find it again!

Ben.