(keitai-l) Re: WAP 2.0 released

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 08/02/01
At 11:01 2001-08-02, you wrote:
>DoCoMo stricks back! late and off the mark.
>
>NTT DoCoMo has issued news release titled "NTT DoCoMo's WAP-NG Initiative
>Blossoms Into WAP2.0.

Well, it is fairly correct, even though probably Access should have some
credit for it.

>For the details of the announcement, please visit our website
>http://www.nttdocomo.com
>
>Now if only they can work with Openwave on the ringtone and screen downloads.
>since WAP 2.0 means nearly nothing without those M-services add-ons.

Hopefully and almost certainly will they not work with OpenWave. It is true
that ringtones and screens are somewhat forgotten in WAP 2.0, so there is
some kind of raison d'être for M-Services. But it should then be done in an
Internet standard way rather than proprietary OpenWave, or for that matter
Nokia, way.

In general and in accordance with WAP 2.0 and Internet in general this
should be done through http download, which is very simple and without the
need for costly OpenWave servers. The rest is a pure client side support
for ringtone formats (MIDI as said in M-Services is of course OK) and
putting the screen images on the right place. This is for instance already
supported by Access in their browsers for both Japan and now the GSM world.

/gustaf