(keitai-l) Re: Siemens to market VoIP via WLAN for use with PDAs

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 08/14/01
>Symbol make voice over 802.11b handsets with the same purpose (no idea if
>they're voip).

Well, if it's 802.11b the chance is that IP is what travels over it
and then the phone connecting to it would have to be VoIP (in a broad
sense - meaning some kind of voice over IP). It does not necessarily
have to be any of the H.42x suite, which was adopted by ITU as the
VoIP standard. However, the likelihood that they use it is high.

>Not actualy that interesting, really - they're just making the desk on your
>phone cordless.

A cordless desk eh ? :-)

At first sight, I can see how you would see it that way. But if you
take a closer look, it can become very interesting...  The NetLink
WTS allows you to use a Notebook or more interestingly a PDA with a
VoIP application to access a PABX over WLAN. Thus, it provides a
gateway function from wireless VoIP to PSTN telephony. With a VoIP
application installed, your PDA turns into a cordless phone and it
will be reachable as such on an ordinary telephone number via the
PABX.

>What's more interesting is using WLAN (actually, Bluetooth
>is better 'cause it'll be built into mobile handsets)

I am very sceptical about these Bluetooth promises. First, Bluetooth
has only got a range of what? 5-7 meters ? Then, clearly it is not
intended for what many people would have you believe it is going to
be used for. It's more a wireless peripheral bus than a
communications network.

And that it will be built into mobile handsets has been a rather
empty promise so far. Adoption of Bluetooth has been very slow even
though it should by now be used virtually everywhere if the
propaganda had been right. On the other hand 802.11b has been played
down again and again, yet it is  being rolled out rapidly in private
households, companies and public places.

>Also, there're a number of startups looking at using
>Bluetooth to offer in-building coverage for 3G.

While I wish them good luck, I personally would consider the odds of
this too bad to invest in them.

>The issue is, you have to play nice with the mobile operator(s) if you want
>calls to the mobile number to get routed over your alternative airlink.

I'd rather say the question is "Do you really need to depend on your
mobile number?". Of course, the mobile operators would like you to
believe that you do, but it doesn't have to be that way.

I have a personal number with YAC (www.yac.com). It is free of charge
and allows you to divert incoming calls to either a unified messaging
system or to another phone number, including foreign numbers in over
20 countries. At present YAC is only operating in the UK, but they
look to open services in other countries, too. A YAC number looks
like a UK mobile phone number (+44 7092 ...) and calls to it (premium
rate) cost as much as calling a mobile phone from which YAC gets a
share that allows them to forward the call and still make a profit
without charging you.

On my business card I only list my YAC number, not my mobile phone
number - only friends know my mobile phone number(s). Most of the
time I have my YAC number divert to my Japanese mobile, but when I am
travelling I divert it to whatever local prepaid phone number I have
there or to the hotel room, office extension at a client's office etc.

Now, let's assume the hotel I am staying in has a WLAN and they also
install a system like the NetLink WTS and provide VoIP over their
WLAN over their PABX to their guests, then I could divert my YAC
number to the extension I am provided by the hotel and receive
inbound calls on my PDA, while I am sitting in the lounge.

The client where my assignment is might also have such a system and
they may also provide me with an office extension and I can receive
calls on my PDA there too.

At present YAC's diversion allows you to set a first number and a
second number in case the first number is unreachable. Eventually, if
people ask for it, they may provide a third option, then you could
have your diversion set to your mobile (1st no.) then to your office
extension (2nd no.), then to your hotel extension (3rd no.), thus any
incoming call will eventually find you.

This is very simple, can be done with existing technology at low cost
and you don't need to rely on the mobile operators at all that way.

As I said before, this is a likely development that low cost
VoIP/WLAN to PABX gateways like the NetLink WTS have the potential to
spin off. It is limited to the premises of a company, a hotel etc
initially, but there is no reason why this would have to stay that
way. If enough people get used to this, there will be a large enough
user base that a company could provide services to them independently
of where they have their WLAN access and they would probably also
provide a phone number with a country code of your choice for you to
receive all your calls.

>Otherwise people need to have two numbers, and to heck with that.

You know what, there is actually a new roaming system aimed at
consumers that is based on two numbers, your ordinary mobile number
plus a temporary local number that is instantly assigned to you when
your phone tries to sign-in in a foreign network. Because the system
does all the number and call diversion management automatically and
transparently, it is of no concern to the user.

All the user sees is lower charges because the dependency on their
home operator is reduced and the local operator can offer services at
local market rates.

>  After all,
>you're effectively doing (very) localised roaming: why should operators let
>you plug into their networks if there's no benefit for them?

There are two sides to this ...

First, the operators to provide services while you "roam" in IP land
can earn business that would otherwise go to the mobile operator you
are subscribed to.

Second, the mobile operators who do not allow you to divert your
number or send voicemail as email to you while you "roam" in IP land,
they risk to loose out. The more people feel tempted to use third
parties like YAC for personal numbers and not tell their mobile phone
numbers the easier it will be for them to churn. Some mobile
operators will block, but some others would see an opportunity and
offer such call diversion, which would then put even more pressure on
the others to follow.

regards
benjamin