(keitai-l) Re: folding phones clear market leaders

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 08/16/01
Renfield Kuroda wrote:

> At least in the Japanese market for i-mode, the best-selling phones are
> NEC's 502 and 503, and Panasonic's 209is and 503is. And now Fujitsu's
> 503is is also "oritatami" (folding). Similar sales for other operators.
> Seems folding phones pack a bigger screen into a more compact size and
> are proving more popular. Size of phones was getting smaller and
> lighter, and now with data services handsets are getting bigger again.
>
> Comments?

It's clear that the trend until 2 years ago (before imode) was to the
60-gram superlight handsets, while now its towards approx. 100-gram
handsets with 120x130 bit full color screens.

Memory is also a differentiator, but probably not yet for the average
consumers: for the 503i series memory varies between 98K and 614k, which
is quite a separation, and might make a lot of difference for more
sophisticated applications.

Battery life used to be an issue, but is solved in Japan - but not
elsewhere. Recently we discussed this issue with a European carrier:
we were amazed by the difference in battery times between top
European handset models and average Japanese handsets.

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/