(keitai-l) Re: folding phones clear market leaders

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 08/16/01
>Battery life used to be an issue, but is solved in Japan - but not
>elsewhere. Recently we discussed this issue with a European carrier:
>we were amazed by the difference in battery times between top
>European handset models and average Japanese handsets.

Don't forget the network infrastructure in Europe. There are far more
rural areas far less densely populated than even the remotest
Japanese country side, which obviously means fewer and further away
base stations, requiring more RF power on the side of the phone.

I have been using the same GSM phone in rural Europe and in an office
directly located opposite a cell site and the difference was 5-6
hours versus 3-4 days standby time.

regards
benjamin