(keitai-l) Re: folding phones clear market leaders

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 08/16/01
Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> >Battery life used to be an issue, but is solved in Japan - but not
> >elsewhere. Recently we discussed this issue with a European carrier:
> >we were amazed by the difference in battery times between top
> >European handset models and average Japanese handsets.
>
> Don't forget the network infrastructure in Europe. There are far more
> rural areas far less densely populated than even the remotest
> Japanese country side, which obviously means fewer and further away
> base stations, requiring more RF power on the side of the phone.
>
> I have been using the same GSM phone in rural Europe and in an office
> directly located opposite a cell site and the difference was 5-6
> hours versus 3-4 days standby time.

partly - but only partly - true.

However, the overal population density of Japan is not that different
from the densily populated countries in Europe: Belgium, Holland, UK.

Hokkaido is very similar to Austria in size and population density.

Japan is less special than many people think.

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/