(keitai-l) Japan also has a countryside (was Re: Interesting Link ...)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 08/17/01
[Juergen]

http://www.yil.com/features/feature.asp?volume=07&issue=08&keyword=japaneseg
irls

Yes, this Yahoo feature is slightly annoying.  "Strabismic" means "makes you
squint", just to save you a trip to the dictionary in that first paragraph.
And maybe the author means "Southern Hokkaido" when he says "way south in
Hokkaido", and really does know that Hokkaido is to the north.  But maybe
not.

And Yes, Juergen's thinly-veiled plug for Nooper is also slightly annoying.
What can I say?  He's very lovable in person.... ;-)

Juergen's link is, however, a contribution that weighs more heavily than
most speculation.  As someone once pointed out (that punter, Peter Drucker,
come to think of it): successful new businesses are made by scrambling
desperately in response to last week's conditions, hoping that you aren't
too late.  The more successful crystal-ball gazers usually aren't in on that
scramble, since, to be good at what they do, they have to concentrate on
calibrating their crystal-ball optics.  And who wants to be an
*un*successful crystal-ball gazer?

OK, OK, scraping off the usual fattening dollop of my unsolicited opinions,
and getting to the point:

I'm on a mailling list -- "ruralbridge" -- where you can talk about almost
anything related to internet connectivity and wireless communications as
long as it's a good ways out of town -- like, "way south in Hokkaido."

I visited the Tsukuba lab of one of ruralbridge's members a few months back,
and saw some pretty interesting technology being prototyped.

You might want to contact Matthew Laurenson about ruralbridge list
membership after touring his home page a little:

      http://cse.narc.affrc.go.jp/matthewl/

-michael turner
leap@gol.com