(keitai-l) Re: 24-bit PNG images to EZWeb phones?

From: Mika Tuupola <tuupola_at_appelsiini.net>
Date: 08/22/01
On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Kyle Barrow wrote:

> While PHP does a magnificent job at creating 8-bit PNGs, lack on GIF
> support on the PHP servers where the application will eventually run,
> kills PHP as an option as I am also branching i-mode and WML/HDML
> content.

	IMO this is just shitty service from the ISP. GIF support (among
	JPG and PNG) is one of  the most basic building blocks of many PHP
	applications. Unisys patent issue sholdn't be an issue out of US.

	If the ISP didn't have support for that or didn't include the
	support after asking them I would just move my money elsewhere.

	There are some problems with GD though. The quality of images
	scaled down with ImageCopyResized() is not too good. The results
	usually look quite pixelated. I have been using two different
	solutions for that problem.

	1) patched GD extension for PHP which includes a resize function
	with bicubic interpolation: ImageCopyResizedBicubic()

	2) a new extension called php_imlib. This extension has richer
	set of features for modifying images. The extension is still
	in early states of development (current release is 0.3). It
	seems quite stable though.

		http://mmcc.cx/php_imlib/

	You need to be able to have full access to the server to use
	these options or ISP willing to compile them in though...

--
Mika Tuupola                      http://www.appelsiini.net/~tuupola/