(keitai-l) youth mobile services in the rest of the world...

From: Graham Brown <gbrown_at_wirelessworldforum.com>
Date: 08/25/01
Thought I'd give you an insight into the world outside of Japan and see how
things
are progressing there...

It seems with the advent of pre-pay and SMS that finally the operators have
caught
onto the value of the youth market. The avarice for new services
demonstrated by this
market can be seen quite blatantly in Japan. The Europeans now understand
that these
people have money , want to communicate and want to spend.

We have launched a new site with a whole set of interviews and news focused
on youth
and mobile services.

I'm looking for Japanese input to add to the eclectic mix, so anybody on
this list with value
to add is most welcome to follow up.

There are already interviews with MTV, Nickelodeon, Bolt.com, Handy.de
amongst others that
you will probably find interesting to see how these companies are doing
compared to
similar services in Japan. Inevitably these companies want to get their
services out
to the youth market regardless of the technologies - surveys show youth
penetration levels
almost the same in Finland, Germany, UK and Japan. The hurdle, then, is the
network operators
and their prioritisation.

Check it out - www.mobileyouth.org

Graham