(keitai-l) Plazmic's SVG in 10K Java footprint? (was Re: Re: article on streaming media to keitai)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 08/25/01
From: "Carl Schon" <carlschon@excite.com>
> What  plazmic is doing is much more compeling on a keitai.

A brief tour of
  http://www.plazmic.com

was unenlightening on the issue of how much they had to
subset SVG to fit it in 10K.  I've signed up to the developers'
list, maybe that'll help.

This has been a keitai-l topic before, please note.

Jay (wirelessjava@yahoo.com) mentions it first:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-06/0063.html

...and Henry Minsky doubts its practicality:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-06/0064.html

Ben Hutchings says that compression problems (which Henry
raises as a source of issues) are probably not the stumbling block:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-06/0068.html

...but sees room for other formats simply because the SVG
rendering model is so complex:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-06/0069.html
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2000-12/0247.html

Some almost-off-topic meanderings about compression (including
my own, mercifully elided) nevertheless lead to:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-06/0076.html

... where Zev Blut points us (back in June) to...Plazmic.

There's also:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-06/0206.html

...where Dave Collier mentions a possible 3wc effort on an SDVG
("Small Device Vector Graphic") format.  And something called
"bitflash". (?)

Jonathan Shore also doubts that this can be made very fast at the
moment:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-06/0065.html

...though he feels it wins on programmability:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2000-12/0253.html

Juergen points out that there's some pretty fast J-Phone graphics,
but no clear picture on whether they use SVG or not:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-06/0066.html

I saw a dancing-girl animation on Sam Joseph's (sam@neurogrid.com)
SH07 J-Phone, but he couldn't tell me if it was rendered on the fly
or a GIF animation or something else.  With space for 50K of Java,
I guess you could do a lot, though.  Others have been similarly
impressed:
  http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-06/0067.html

And 50K is probably enough to do a decent subset of extant
SVG viewers -- though I haven't checked.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com