(keitai-l) Re: article on streaming media to keitai

From: Carl Schon <carlschon_at_excite.com>
Date: 08/25/01
(unlurk)
So what? Video is just not practical on keitai's we been there.
What  plazmic is doing is much more compeling on a keitai.
****************
They have also stated in a recent press release on their Website,
www.hellonetwork.co.jp that THEY have the technology to support this effort
from KDDI, J-Phone, NTT DoCoMo to Launch Video Transmission Services:
 "quote:
By AFX News

08/23/01

KDDI's cellular phone division, AU, will start a video image transmission
service as early as November, reports the Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper.
The new service will allow subscribers of AU's cell phone-based EZ Web
Internet service to receive video images, such as news programs, music
videos, movie/TV advertisements, and restaurant information, the newspaper
reports. Initially, AU will transmit 10 to 20 seconds of video images using
its existing 64Kbps data communications network and videos as long as four
to five minutes when the network speeds up to 144Kbps in the fall, the
newspaper reports.

According to the report, J-Phone is considering offering a similar service
before the end of the year, ahead of its planned launch of a
third-generation (3G) service next June. NTT DoCoMo plans to offer a video
transmission service before the end of the year via its 3G service, which
will offer a throughput of 384Kbps, the newspaper reports.

(c) 2001 AFX News

http://www.mbusinessdaily.com/story/news/MBZ20010823S0006
But what good is that, when only 10% of all keitai will be Java enabled?
Their software only works in Java.