(keitai-l) Re: JPhone introduces Prepay (extended to Wireless Forensics in general)

From: Jorge _at_ allinabill <_at_>
Date: 11/01/01

> This "little application" is commonly referred to as a data warehouse.
> And many companies are deploying DWHs which usually have statistical
> analysis and report functions of the kind you describe and more. It's
> more than a "little" effort though to get it all working.

Benjamin,

I think me and most in the list know what a Data Warehouse is and how to use
it. And having worked with many GSM operators and written the marketing
requirements for many, I do not think the "" were necessary. Maybe I did not
explain myself. My idea, and I was brainstorming so I did not think about
the architecture of the application or anything like, was that using the
byproducts of the whole system partial CDRs etc this information would be
used to detect patterns of the move of masses of people. Somebody could
collect this info from the operators. Taking out individual personal data
like MSISDN should not be too much of a trouble. It could be replaced by
other form of id that means nothing but can be used to track all records
from that particular individual without giving away any info that could
trace it back to the individual in question.

Privacy then would not be an issue. The complexity of the task calls, more
than for a DWH, the specific data mining of these records that can be pulled
before they go to the DWH. There is a lot of politics with DWH and those
projects take for ever. If this is of interest to the parties involved,
operators, city planners and the provider of such services (forensics or
whatever), if this of interest then they sure can get the data without
having to go through the process of changing the way data is collected for
the DWH etc. Most of this data is never used anyway.

Also, I do not know if you are aware of a company called Telephia. They are
local here in San Francisco. They have some interesting services and they
get their data directly from the airwaves. They do it across technologies,
CDMA, TDMA, GSM and analog and they do it without the US mobile carriers
willing participation. They do sell their reports to them. Among other
services they have intelligence reports that let the carriers know who has
more roamers, more new activations etc etc. It may not be very exact but it
beats most other reports based only on old fashion market research.

Anyway I was just brainstorming, I did not expect a lecture on Data
Warehousing. I will refrain from free thinking in the future.

Jorge