(keitai-l) Re: Any wireless always-on packet data PC-Card?

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 11/06/01
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Marc Printz wrote:

> I do have an H" card....

Yeah, me too.

> but wondered whether any of the carriers has a data
> card that doesn't consume a) so much power

You might look at the CompactFlash version of this card. (This comes with
an adapter to let it go into a standard CardBus slot.) I would suspect
that it would consume less power, as it's designed for machines with
much less battery capacity. But it's hard to know.

I'd appreciate any information on the differences (in power consumption,
connectivity, etc.) between the CardBus and CF versions of this card.

> and b) can actually be always-on
> (ie without having to dial..., more like an ethernet link). Is there such a
> thing?.

I kinda doubt it. They would probably not be keen on assigning you a
permanent IP address, for a start.

But what exactly are you looking for when you ask for always-on? Do you
suspend/resume a lot, and get annoyed by the delay when you resume? Or
is it something else?

> Is it possible to make connections to the card from the internet/via
> other means?

I don't know what you mean by this.

cjs
--