(keitai-l) Re: SHIFT-JIS and non-Japanese content

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 11/16/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>but will probably not be able to display
>any of the extra European characters like German umlauts (for example an
>"a" with two dots above it).

Just to confirm for those who do not have access to an imode handset,
these characters WILL be displayed correctly if you render them as
"special" characters. (I don't guarantee this for all of them, but those I
have tested will)

eg

&auml;

will display an a with dots above under sjis encoding

If your site is dynamic, you can thus store the chars as whatever you want
and then replace them with the appropriate equivalent just before you send
content out port 80. (It is best to do the replace AFTER you have done the
dynamic linebreak as otherwise &auml; would be counted as six chars.)

jphones are a bit sniffy about what special chars they will display. I am
not sure if they will display &auml; or not....

Nick