(keitai-l) Re: interesting scam

From: David Emery <dave_at_skiddlydee.com>
Date: 11/30/01
>We were talking about spam email before and then got onto the subject
>of cases where you're phone would ring once and when you'd call the
>number back, you'd get a message. Well, it seems to be becoming a bit
>of a problem... 100,000 yen ouch!

> > Problem: Extremely high charge (reportedly approx. JPY 100,000 per
> >          call) which is very difficult to recover.

I've heard this before, but doesn't this sound a bit far fetched? What kind
of number could you call and automatically be charged 100,000 Yen just for
calling?  Wouldn't there already be all sorts of problems with people
accidentally calling wrong numbers, etc.

> > by mobile phone providers and is currently under investigation.

Has a rather urban myth-like ring to it, don't you think?

-dave