(keitai-l) Re: European i-mode will crash...

From: Nicolaj Højer Nielsen <nhn_at_strandconsult.dk>
Date: 12/21/01
btw : I work as a management consultant at Strand Consult

> "A new report by Strand Consult concludes that DoCoMo's i-mode is not
> the success many claim it to be, and rather than trying to adopt =
i-mode
> into Europe, European operators should instead concentrate on making =
it
> attractive to content providers to develop, and market quality content
> and services. "
>=20
> To me, the second sentence of this article is exactly what i-mode is
> about in many ways: "make it attractive for content providers to =
develop
> and market content quality and services". Therefore, the article =
sounds
> to me like: "You don't need to get this white horse! All you really =
need
> is a white horse."

I-mode id from my perspective not the right "white horse"!

The problem with I-mode is that DoCoMo has developed a "walled garden" =
for content providers, where only a few of them is accepted to use the =
I-mode billing system. In other words - It's easier for Bin Laden to get =
into Heaven, that it is for content providers to get their i-mode sites =
approved as an "official i-mode site" :-)

I-mode should be compared to Premium SMS/WAP serviced developed by more =
and more European mobile operators, where ALL potential content =
providers can develop and (very importantly) market their services, and =
get a revenue share on it!=20

So instead that trying to copy i-mode in Europe, the European mobile =
operators must instead improve their existing revenue models for premium =
SMS-services, and implement new revenue sharing models for premium =
WAP-services.

And i-mode is not only a "failure" from the content providers point of =
view, but also from the operators. Several European mobiel operators are =
already getting a larger percentage of their APRU from non-voice =
services (WAP/SMS) than DoCoMo is getting from I-mode....Norway, =
Germany, Finland - is just some examples !!!=20

btw. you can read more about the report at http://www.reversebilling.com
=20
Kind regards,

Nicolaj Nielsen