(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone enters m-payment arena

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 01/15/02
On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Petri Ojala wrote:

> In principal a BT device in a shop counter/bus/train would be broadcasting
> payment request that can be picked up by a near-by mobile phone.  The phone
> would ask the user to accept or deny the request and if the response would
> be sent back to the device, and charge added to the phone bill.

My first thought was, "wow, cool! And quite possible with current
technology, too!"

But there seems to me one little sticking point here. How do you prove
you've paid? Show the attendant the screen? How does he know it's not a
Java Applet that generated that screen? Take a ticket, or go through a
turnstile? How do you make sure it's the person right next to the ticket
machine or turnstile that approved that payment, and not the guy behind
or next to him?

Hm. Maybe you generate a barcode (good for a limited time only) that
you then swipe at the turnstile or ticket machine.

cjs