(keitai-l) Re: mInt (Mobile Internet) Product Release - FREE - Check it out!

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 01/23/02
Juergen --

Jamie doesn't say that mInt is "free" in the "free software" (GPL) sense,
only that the system is freely available for download.  And I
doubt it's Jamie's fault that his boss (Dave Davies) suggested that it
would be open source back in November, and that Mr. Davies
since apparently backed away from that:

http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-11/0163.html
[Dave Davies]
> We have this code as part of mIntaDev which we be releasing (on the week
> of the 26th assuming the developers get their act together - no
> promises.) as Open Source, (modified IBM Public License)

(Wow, great way to motivate your programmers -- humiliate
them on a mailing list.  Isn't it precisely one of the advantages of
open source that contributors aren't required to sacrifice quality
for deadlines?)

On the other hand, it's not obviously closed source either.
There is not even a copyright notice in anything I've looked
at so far, amazingly.

I also don't notice any license terms that *prohibit* decompilation,
so if you get tired of a crippleware system that can only allow
so many users at a time ... well ...

Be nice and pay IntaDev anyway ;-)

-michael turner
leap@gol.com