(keitai-l) Re: mInt (Mobile Internet) Product Release - FREE - Check it out!

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 01/23/02
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>how free is "free"? I can not find any licensing information
>on your site...and the FAQ actually answers questions about
>Japan's wireless systems, not about mInt.
>
>Confused: Juergen
>--

I also am puzzled. I tried the demo from my Mac using I.E. 5.1 (Which is
the latest release I think) and got this:

"Attention! You are using the wrong version of Internet Explore browser
(5.13). Admin Zone application is designed for Internet Explorer ver.5.5
or higher."

The same when I browsed it using the latest (nightly build) of Mozilla.

I have not tried it in Linux, but I guess the same message would be
displayed. MacOS X too?

Is this system really only admin-able from a Windows box? What
functionality is lost? I think announcing "you are using the wrong
version", then specifying a browser version only released in final form
for Windows is unnecessarily inflammatory... If there are a few minor
additional features available for Windows, but the basic product will work
on other OS's, then it might be better to say so and let the user choose.
I really think that at some point it should become compatible with Mozilla
- since that is generally more standards compliant than I.E.

While I would not look, or kick, a gift horse in the mouth, I also am
interested in the license (free speech or free beer?) and also details
about updates (will the sniff and server database be updated regularly,
for example...)

That said, you have just put it live and I guess are rather busy, so
please do not think this e-mail uncharitable. An F.A.Q. answering
questions such as these would be very useful at some stage.

Regards nick

/   Cogito Ltd.     nick@kyushu.com
/   Mitsui Yakuin Heights Suite 903, 2-11-33 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
/   Japan 810-0022   Tel/Fax   +81 (92) 735 7933   090 5023 2841