(keitai-l) Re: The fall and rise of the English i-mode menu

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 01/28/02
There have been proposals that nobody be granted any kind of ordinary visa
unless they pass a test showing that they can read hiragana.  I say
"ordinary" because one of the few 24-hour-turnaround work visas you can get
is expedited by the U.S. military, for its on-base employees.  I can't
imagine the U.S. army forcing anybody, enlisted or civilian, through a
kana-cram course, just to please Japanese immigration.  (Note: the routine
90-day permission to stay is not a visa, and try getting a keitai with that
status anyway.)

I was reminded of this proposal when Juergen mentioned that he saw "eigo" in
hiragana rather than the far-more-common kanji compound for "eigo".
Interesting.  Ominous.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com