(keitai-l) Re: Sound files on FOMA handsets

From: Paul Bryan Lester <pbl1_at_livedoor.com>
Date: 02/01/02
    Basically I think you can't do what you want to...
but I'll give you the long answer, and hint that maybe
you can.

    (Basically if you want to use speech have a telephone
service with people talking and not an i-appli, thats
what phones do best after all).

    I actually don't know much about FOMA
in particular but basically FOMA can do what a
503i series phone can do and more.

    With the 503s, and i-appli you only have the
MFi format.  This is basically a midi-like format, but
at least with the N phone, there appears to be
way to embed wav files in some manner.  They
will be of low quality, (its only 10k for 503 phones
max)  (I think FOMA is 30k but I keep forgetting if
thats for i-appli on FOMA or for the 504 series or
something).

    This means that using just the (midi-like)
features of MFi, you can make "voice" samples
but it will be very difficult since you need to
create an instrument that mimics a word.
(A LOT OF WORK).  I've been wanting to try that
myself for awhile but haven't had the time.
I recommend no one trying it unless they have
lots of money and lots of time to kill.

    With at least the N FOMA phone you can
embed short WAV files somehow, but it may not
work on other FOMA phones which means its
probably not the way you want to go.

    If you are lucky (and if I had some specs
with me at home on the FOMA phone) I might
be able to find some new feature that would allow
wav embedding in the i-appli spec sheets for the
FOMA phones.

    There is hope in the fact that many of the newer
DoCoMo phones are supporting 24 voices which means
the format may allow for things I haven't had a chance
to look into yet (like standard wav additions like with SMAF-16).

    Also I haven't heard anything about i-mode
and FOMA as they are in Japan coming to
NY at all.  Is this about to happen?  That
would be so cool!  My friend (of a friend) Jxxx wants
a cool Japanese phone but all they have
is old stuff in NY.

    One drawback of MFi (the format that is used on
FOMA) is that it is proprietary so if I did know a way
to add wav files to it, and that unless it was public
knowledge I would not be able to discuss it.

    Most of my answer can be found in the keitai-L
archives.