(keitai-l) Re: bar code scanners for ketai -- courtesy of McDonald's?

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 02/09/02
Michael Turner wrote:

> Why McDonald's?   Who knows.  A joint venture with
> Kenichi Ohmae's startup.  (Spotted by Tanya Clark.)

McDonalds Japan is schitzo... it's a documented fact.  Just look at
the customer loyalty program they rolled out a year or so back
involving re-writable display cards and specialized terminals (a
roll out that must have cost 100s of millions of yen)... all gone
now... as if it never happened.

> http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=4&id=192745
>
> I've pushed this idea to death in this forum, but I think
> they should actually be built into the phones.  It should
> be interesting to see if the scanner-attachment
> approach works anyway.

Bar codes on displays... kinda' like cupons on the web?

A general purpose scanner would be cool.  A specialized barcode only
laser scanner would be stupid.  Barcodes are not nearly ubiquitous as
one might think.