(keitai-l) Re: bar code scanners for ketai -- courtesy of McDonald's?

From: cfb <cfb_at_nirai.ne.jp>
Date: 02/10/02
cfb wrote:
> Michael Turner wrote:
> >
> > Why McDonald's?   Who knows.  A joint venture with
> > Kenichi Ohmae's startup.  (Spotted by Tanya Clark.)
> >
> > http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=4&id=192745

Upon further reflection, I would think this is now known as the
"Starbucks Maneuvor" (tm), ususlly executed after:

   1 - some geek in the company points out that all that spare
       capacity used to connect the franchise branch to the head
       office is "just going to waste"

   2 - a particularly agressive telco sales droid manages to have
       lunch/a golf game with the right person(s)

It all usually ends in screaming and knashing of teeth.  All said
and done, I believe Starbucks has the edge, as they sell a trendy,
legal, addictive product of which it is socially OK to have 3 or
more cups.  McDees?  That's just fast food.  Besides, who wants
to sit around drinking 3 L size cups of coke while "browsing the
internet via your phone and "settle payments online", when you're
probably running short of time (the reason you're actually eating
at McDees in the first palce)

> > I've pushed this idea to death in this forum, but I think
> > they should actually be built into the phones.  It should
> > be interesting to see if the scanner-attachment
> > approach works anyway.

Hasn't anyone told you?  Barcodes are going away (not that I really
believe the hype; cut and pasted from a private e-mail; please
excuse the excessive ./ links):