(keitai-l) Re: i-Mode protocol stack evolution?

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 02/08/02
At 08:40 2002-02-08, you wrote:

>Thanks Curtis, I still have some open issues:
>
>- you said that both WAP2.0 's and new i-Mode protocol stack are both the
>same, but WAP2.0 integrates TLS as the security layer and i-Mode is SSL?

TLS 1.0 is essentially based on SSL 3, so there is not a big difference.

>- what about the Markup Language, is it still cHTML or does i-Mode uses=
 some
>kind of XHTMLMP with 'extensions for backward compatibility with cHTML'?

AFAIK, DoCoMo have not been fully clear on this. It is still i-mode=20
compatible HTML 3.0 (derived from cHTML) that is the valid format, with=20
some few extensions for FOMA for user agent and utn.

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/p_s/i/tag/index.html

Things have been said about XHTML Basic and WAP 2.0, but I haven't been=20
able to make something clear about of it. Maybe someone else? The browser=20
in the latest versions for FOMA should already support XHTML Basic=
 (Curtis?).

>- does Java for i-Mode applications make any additional requirement to a
>gateway which already supports midlets downloading for WAP 2.0 phones?

No. But you wouldn't need a gateway. Downloads are done directly from a=20
third party content server.

See http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/p_s/i/java/index.html and further=
 links.

/gustaf