(keitai-l) Re: bar code scanners for ketai -- courtesy of McDonald's?

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 02/10/02
From: "cfb" <cfb@nirai.ne.jp>

> cfb wrote:
> > Michael Turner wrote:
> > >
> > > Why McDonald's?   Who knows.  A joint venture with
> > > Kenichi Ohmae's startup.  (Spotted by Tanya Clark.)
> > >
> > > http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=4&id=192745
>
> Upon further reflection, I would think this is now known as the
> "Starbucks Maneuvor" (tm), [....]
[snip]
> It all usually ends in screaming and knashing of teeth.  All said
> and done, I believe Starbucks has the edge, as they sell a trendy,
> legal, addictive product of which it is socially OK to have 3 or
> more cups.  McDees?  That's just fast food.  Besides, who wants
> to sit around drinking 3 L size cups of coke while "browsing the
> internet via your phone and "settle payments online", when you're
> probably running short of time (the reason you're actually eating
> at McDees in the first palce)

I live in a neighborhood where a McDonald's (one of half a dozen
within 10 minutes walk) closed down and a Starbucks opened in
its place.  It's clear who's on the run and who's on a roll.

It still surprises me, though, how the burger chains are major
youth hangouts here.  I doubt they are final social destinations for
most, but they do seem to be places to meet up, chill, and kill
time for many.

Whether this lends itself to whatever McDonald's Japan thinks
will happen with barcode scanners on keitais is another whole
question.  They could use 'em though.

What I see at fast food places like McDonald's: employees don't
seem to get that it's supposed to be ... well, *fast*.  Counter
help here seem unable to grasp the concept of handling more
than one customer at a time -- taking and ringing up an order,
then asking the next customer in line what they'd like while
the set is being put together.  I don't want to be bowed to --
that wastes a whole second of my time, after I've been standing
for several minutes.  I doubt the Japanese clientele particular
need this ego-stroke either.  They just want their burger, fries
and coke.

Instead of trying to change this culture, why not just get rid of it?
Customers walk in the door, pick up menus, scan items to buy,
take a seat, and wait for their numbers to be announced?  (Or,
hey, call 'em on their keitai -- what a concept.)

McDonald's Japan has had a very successful IPO, followed by
a sales-withering BSE scare.  It might be smart to put money
into something that allows them to close stores, shed staff,
and still hold onto profits.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com