(keitai-l) Re: in the drink

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/22/02
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, van Hilten, Clive wrote:

> As a South African living in London, I can confirm Nic's opinions on English
> beer.

Personally, I think that the English are the best beer-makers in
the world, with the Belgans running a close second.

> >> their pints are quite large
> Glad to see that Spirits and Measures Act, or whatever the UK legislation is
> called that governs the size of a pint and other volums, errs on the side of
> generosity.

Well, it is generous, but it doesn't actually err, per se.

In the U.K. there are very strict regulations about the sizes of
drinking glasses, and if you have a look at a U.K. pint glass in a pub
there you will notice the stamp of the Queen's department of weights and
measures on the side, certifying that it is the correct size. And of
course they serve brim measures (the beer comes right up to the brim of
the glass) to make sure that you get all that you are entitled to. (This
is possible in part because most English ales have very little head.)

cjs