(keitai-l) The Death of the 503i

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 02/22/02
So what happened to the 503i series? I went to the Docomo shop to change
my contract, and decided it was about time to get into the i-Appli age
by upgrading my old phone (an ancient but very nice P209i). I was hoping
to get a P503i, but it seems the only 503i model left is the F503i; all
the rest are 503iS clamshell models that are significantly larger and
heavier.

Is it possible to get one's hands on older phones, perhaps by buying
them from someone who's upgraded? Docomo wouldn't let me keep my old
phone, even though it was paid for long ago and they charged me full
price for a new one. If I somehow got hold of a P503i, is it possible to
bring it into the Docomo shop and get my service switched to that one?

And has the age of lightweight phones passed? I really liked my little
60g one. My new phone, already "old" is 77g. The 503iS models seem to
come in over 100g, and of course the FOMA ones are bigger yet. What's up
with this?

cjs