(keitai-l) Re: Wireless Watch No. 46 (from J@pan Inc magazine) 03/04/2002 [editors@japaninc.com]

From: Sam Joseph <gaijin_at_yha.att.ne.jp>
Date: 03/05/02
Curt Sampson wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Sam Joseph wrote:
>
>>I wonder if Docomo ever considered a home grown approach, i-ruby perhaps?
>>

>Well, Ruby certainly doesn't have the security infrastructure that
>Java does. In fact, I know of nothing else that does. Java is really
>the only way to go if you want to be shoving code (as opposed to
>data) around and also want to make sure it won't do something nasty.
>
>It seems to me sensible to import technology when it's better than
>anything you've got. And using Java doesn't give the Americans any
>advantage at all, unless you decide you don't want to train your
>own Java coders.

seems to me it give the Americans the advantage of already being
well-versed in the target software platform, and the additional
advantage of a large Japanese corporation paying whatever licensing fees
to a large American corporation (Docomo -> Sun)

I'd agree that its sensible to import technology when its better than
anything you've got, but from the point of view of Japanese business
there's an issue of what strings are attached.

Not that I understand these economic/business type things.

CHEERS> SAM