(keitai-l) Re: Wireless Watch No. 46 (from J@pan Inc magazine) 03/04/2002 [editors@japaninc.com]

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 03/05/02
On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Sam Joseph wrote:

> seems to me it give the Americans the advantage of already being
> well-versed in the target software platform....

There's no reason for the Japanese not to be just as well versed
in it. Especially given that Japanese is the only foreign language
deemed important enough to get its own translation of the API.

I learned the basics of Java in a month, and it took me perhaps a
year of full-time use to get to the "pretty much an expert stage."
If the Japanese can't or won't do this, well, they're going to lose
no matter what language they pick.

>, and the additional
> advantage of a large Japanese corporation paying whatever licensing fees
> to a large American corporation (Docomo -> Sun)

They can always buy their JVM elsewhere, or write it themselves.
If buying it from Sun is the cheapest solution, isn't that the best
route for the company to take?

Of course, I'm sure that there are matters of national pride and
what-not involved. But in the end, if you're leaving better technology
for others to take, they will, and then they'll eat your lunch.

cjs