(keitai-l) Re: SMS in US

From: Jeffrey Close <jeffreyc_at_uievolution.com>
Date: 04/19/02
no one's feedback yet on mMode-specific services.  i do have some
feedback on ATTW GSM in general, but i don't think i will post that
publically.

the ATT network is still mostly TDMA but i understand they are engaged
in a rapid buildout of GSM in the infrastructure.  the mMode rollout is
interesting in that they do have some MMS-type capabilities and as such
are the first US carrier to offer these.   in doing so they will
probably beat the other four by 4-6 months.  as for Edge i still hear
that they are planning that transition, which seems crazy to me, but
that's the rumor.  i believe they are the only one that is seriously
considering Edge.=20

in terms of handset vendors, there are a couple of phones that are
dual-mode TDMA/GSM capable, notably one by Siemens that ATT is pushing
fairly heavily.  the fact that they are selling that is probably a good
indication that they think a transition period is needed.

cheers,
jeffrey =20