(keitai-l) data:voice tariff ratio...

From: dc <dc_at_gamelet.com>
Date: 04/19/02
I'm comparing voice to data prices for various carriers;
does someone have a similar stat for i-mode/docomo? eg 1 packet = 128 bytes,
= 0.3 yen correct?
So an SMS length msg (160 bytes + em headers) would be < 1 cent?

What's the tariff for voice calls? How much does 1 minute cost (eg = how
many short msgs).
Also shortmail (i-mode to i-mode) is cheaper (but not free like skymail).
And is receiving mail the same cost as sending? Read somewhere it was
different but that wouldn't make sense as packet fees are same in and out...

I recall when i-mode was launched in germany they instituted per message
charging for email as well as SMS (avoid pricing war).
Be interesting to know costs for philippines which I understand has the
highest per capita volume of SMS anywhere...

* China
voice 	USD 0.08/minute
SMS 		USD 0.012
-> 1 minute voice ~= 7 SMS
or 1 sms ~= 10 secs voice

* Taiwan
voice 	USD 0.12 -USD 0.15/minute
SMS		USD 0.06
-> 1 minute voice ~= 2 SMS
or 1 sms = 30 secs voice

* HongKong
voice 	USD 0.01/minute (yes, one cent only)
SMS		USD 0.15-0.2 (yes! fifteen to twenty cents!)
-> 1 minute voice ~= 1/15 SMS
or 1 sms = 15 mins of voice

(thanks scott M + fai for this data)

/dc